Ashland County, Wisconsin Genealogy, Facts, Records & Links
Ashland County, Wisconsin genealogy and family history research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to aid you trace your personal Ashland Co., ancestors. Begin by creating a Free Family Tree.
Ashland County was founded on March 27, 1860 from La Pointe County. The county was named for Ashland, Henry Clay's estate in Kentucky.
The Ashland County Seat can be found in Ashland and the county government website is www.co.ashland.wi.us/
Bordering Counties in Ashland County include Iron County (east), Price County (southeast), Sawyer County (southwest), Bayfield County (northwest)..
Populated Places in Ashland County are Cities which consist of Ashland, Mellen; Towns consist of Agenda, Ashland, Chippewa, Gingles, Gordon, Jacobs, La Pointe, Marengo, Morse, Peeksville, Sanborn, Shanagolden, White River; Villages consist of Butternut.
Ashland County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in finding out about your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940. Ashland Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ashland Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ashland Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research.
Ashland County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Ashland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Wisconsin Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Wisconsin State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ashland Historical Society, 509 West Main, Ashland, WI, 54806; Phone: 715-682-4911
- Area Research Center - Wisconsin Historical Society History Center and Archives , 29270 County Highway G, Ashland, WI 54806-9339; Phone: (715) 685-2647
- Ashland County, Wisconsin Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Ashland County
- Ashland County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Ashland County
- USGenWeb Archives for Ashland County (usgwarchives.net)
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index (wisconsinhistory.org) Search for pre-1907 Vital Records, as well as for 150,000 Wisconsin Name Index (WNI) records, including biographical sketches, obituaries, and newspaper articles published before 2000.
- See Also Wisconsin Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Ashland County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Ashland County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Wisconsin courthouses and archives everywhere are often the dreams and frustrations of countless Wisconsin residents.
The chances are excellent that your forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some elements of their lives in the Ashland County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you get in touch with the clerk's department to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will assist persons in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Ashland county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records.
- Ashland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 201 W. Main Street, Ashland, WI 54806; Phone: 715.682.7000
- County was attached to Bayfield County for judicial purposes from 1866 to 1873. Some early records may be found there.
- Ashland County Register of Deeds purpose is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Birth Records: 1876
- Marriage Records: 1877
- Death Records: 1874
- Land Records: 1856
- Ashland County Register in Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Phone: 715-682-7009
- Probate Records: 1878
- Ashland County Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Phone: 715-682-7016
- Court Records: 1873
- Ashland County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Wisconsin Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth, Marriage, Divorce & Death Records reported since 1907. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wisconsin for current fees and application process.
Wisconsin Historical Records
- Databases include Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Voter Lists & Census Records; Immigration & Emigration Records; Obituary Records; Military Records; Family Tree Records; Pictures; Stories, Memories & Histories; Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Ashland County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Ashland County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Ashland County genealogy or family history related sites.
Ashland Co. WI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Ashland Co. WI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Ashland Co. WI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Ashland Co. WI Census Records
Ashland Co. WI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Ashland Co. WI Church & Bible Records
Ashland Co. WI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Ashland Co. WI General and History Websites
Ashland Co. WI Immigration & Naturalization
Ashland Co. WI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Ashland Co. WI Military Records
Ashland Co. WI Schools & Directories