Forest County, Wisconsin Genealogy
Forest County, Wisconsin genealogy and family history research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to aid you trace your personal Forest Co., ancestors. Begin by creating a Free Family Tree.
Forest County was founded on April 11, 1885 from Langlade County. The county was named ifor the Forest which covered the area when it was settled.
The Forest County Seat can be found in Crandon and the county government website is www.co.forest.wi.gov/
Bordering Counties in Forest County include Florence County (northeast), Marinette County (east), Oconto County (southeast), Langlade County (southwest), Oneida County (west), Vilas County (northwest), Iron County, Michigan (north).
Populated Places in Forest County are Cities which consist of Crandon; Towns consist of Alvin, Argonne, Armstrong Creek, Blackwell, Caswell, Crandon, Freedom, Hiles, Laona, Lincoln, Nashville, Popple River, Ross, Wabeno.
Forest County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in finding out about your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940. Forest Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research.
Forest County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Forest County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Wisconsin Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Wisconsin State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Forest County Historical and Genealogical Society, PO Box 432, Crandon, WI 54520; Phone: 715-478-3559
- Forest History Association of Wisconsin, 403 McIndoe St, Wausau, WI 54403-4746; Phone: 715-848-6143
- Area Research Center - Wisconsin Historical Society History Center and Archives , 29270 County Highway G, Ashland, WI 54806-9339; Phone: (715) 685-2647
- Forest County, Wisconsin Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Forest County
- Forest County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Forest County
- USGenWeb Archives for Forest County (usgwarchives.net)
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index (wisconsinhistory.org) Search for pre-1907 Vital Records, as well as for 150,000 Wisconsin Name Index (WNI) records, including biographical sketches, obituaries, and newspaper articles published before 2000.
- See Also Wisconsin Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Forest County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Forest County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Wisconsin courthouses and archives everywhere are often the dreams and frustrations of countless Wisconsin residents.
The chances are excellent that your forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some elements of their lives in the Forest County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you get in touch with the clerk's department to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will assist persons in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Forest county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records.
- Forest County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 200 E. Madison Street, Crandon, WI 54520; Phone: 715.478.2422
- Forest County Register of Deeds purpose is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Phone: 715-478-3823
- Birth Records: 1891
- Marriage Records: 1886
- Death Records: 1891
- Land Records: 1865
- Forest County Register in Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Phone: 715-478-2418
- Probate Records: 1887
- Forest County Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Phone: (715) 478-3323
- Court Records: 1885
- Forest County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Wisconsin Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth, Marriage, Divorce & Death Records reported since 1907. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wisconsin for current fees and application process.
Wisconsin Historical Records
- Databases include Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Voter Lists & Census Records; Immigration & Emigration Records; Obituary Records; Military Records; Family Tree Records; Pictures; Stories, Memories & Histories; Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Forest County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Forest County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Forest County genealogy or family history related sites.
Forest Co. WI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Forest Co. WI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Forest Co. WI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Forest Co. WI Census Records
Forest Co. WI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Forest Co. WI Church & Bible Records
Forest Co. WI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Forest Co. WI General and History Websites
Forest Co. WI Immigration & Naturalization
Forest Co. WI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Forest Co. WI Military Records
Forest Co. WI Schools & Directories