Lafayette County, Wisconsin Genealogy
Lafayette County, Wisconsin genealogy and family history research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to aid you trace your personal Lafayette Co., ancestors. Begin by creating a Free Family Tree.
Lafayette County was founded on January 31, 1846 from Iowa County. The county was named in honor of Gilbert du Motier, marquis de La Fayette (1757-1834), a French general in the American Revolutionary War.
The Lafayette County Seat can be found in Darlington and the county government website is www.co.lafayette.wi.gov/
Bordering Counties in Lafayette County include Grant County (west), Iowa County (north), Green County (east), Stephenson County, Illinois (southeast), Jo Daviess County, Illinois (south).
Populated Places in Lafayette County are Cities which consist of Darlington, Shullsburg; Towns consist of Argyle, Belmont, Benton, Blanchard, Darlington, Elk Grove, Fayette, Gratiot, Kendall, Lamont, Monticello, New Diggings, Seymour, Shullsburg, Wayne, White Oak Springs, Willow Springs, Wiota; Villages consist of Argyle, Belmont, Benton, Blanchardville, Gratiot, Hazel Green, South Wayne.
Lafayette County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in finding out about your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940. Lafayette Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lafayette Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lafayette Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research.
Lafayette County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lafayette County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Wisconsin Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Wisconsin State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Badger Historical Society, PO Box 186, Shullsburg, WI 53586; Phone: 608-965-3474
- Lafayette County Genealogical Society, PO Box 183, Darlington, WI 53530; Phone: 608-776-2755
- Lafayette County Historical Society, 525 Main St, Darlington, WI 53530; Phone: 608-776-8340
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin-Platteville, Southwest Wisconsin Room-Karrmann Library, Platteville, WI 53818-3099; Phone: 608/342-1719
- Lafayette County, Wisconsin Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lafayette County
- Lafayette County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lafayette County
- USGenWeb Archives for Lafayette County (usgwarchives.net)
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index (wisconsinhistory.org) Search for pre-1907 Vital Records, as well as for 150,000 Wisconsin Name Index (WNI) records, including biographical sketches, obituaries, and newspaper articles published before 2000.
- See Also Wisconsin Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Lafayette County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Lafayette County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Wisconsin courthouses and archives everywhere are often the dreams and frustrations of countless Wisconsin residents.
The chances are excellent that your forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some elements of their lives in the Lafayette County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you get in touch with the clerk's department to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will assist persons in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lafayette county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records.
- Lafayette County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 626 Main Street, Darlington, WI 53530; Phone: 608.776.4850
- County was attached to Iowa County for county and judicial purposes from 1846–47. Some early records may be found there.
- Lafayette County Register of Deeds purpose is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Phone: 608-776-4838
- Birth Records: 1854
- Marriage Records: 1847
- Death Records: 1847
- Land Records: 1836
- Lafayette County Register in Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Phone: 608-776-4811
- Probate Records: 1847
- Lafayette County Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Phone: (608) 776-4832
- Court Records: 1847
- Lafayette County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Wisconsin Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth, Marriage, Divorce & Death Records reported since 1907. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wisconsin for current fees and application process.
Wisconsin Historical Records
- Databases include Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Voter Lists & Census Records; Immigration & Emigration Records; Obituary Records; Military Records; Family Tree Records; Pictures; Stories, Memories & Histories; Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Lafayette County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Lafayette County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Lafayette County genealogy or family history related sites.
Lafayette Co. WI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lafayette Co. WI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lafayette Co. WI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lafayette Co. WI Census Records
Lafayette Co. WI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lafayette Co. WI Church & Bible Records
Lafayette Co. WI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lafayette Co. WI General and History Websites
Lafayette Co. WI Immigration & Naturalization
Lafayette Co. WI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lafayette Co. WI Military Records
Lafayette Co. WI Schools & Directories